I’ve had a number of noteworthy experiences over the last months. Many updates to share!
- Launch of my new blog design this month! Thanks to Ian Armstrong for blog design and programming, Pausha Foley for graphic design, and Anja Epkes for photography.
- Recruiting for marketing and design is BOOMing. I switched over to the direct hire team at The Creative Group in January of 2013 (from the contract team) and since then have successfully placed people in the following roles: senior level UX, creative direction, multimedia design, graphic design, web design, account management, brand management, online marketing and others. I’m really excited to work at the intersection of design, strategy, product development and talent.
- I went on a 5-day silent Vipassana meditation retreat at Spirit Rock at the end of last year during the December 2012 Winter Solstice. I had a fantastic experience to sit with such an established meditation center in Northern California. I highly recommend Spirit Rock to anyone who is on the mediation path. I find that the Bay Area has a solid Buddhist influence and after sitting for 5 days, I felt more a part of the spiritual community and more at home, like I could relate more to people and the land. I came away with a message of being more compassionate towards myself. I had prior experience with Vipassana as I had done a 10-day silent retreat at the Goenka center in North Fork, CA in 2005. I also realized that I’d attended or assisted 25 yoga/meditation/energy retreats in the last 10 years. Wow!
- I visited Poland last summer with dear friends and we went to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Seemed so important to bear witness to what happened there. I hope everyone would have the opportunity to go, as difficult as it is to think about and see. Here is a photo of friend, Chris Foley, and I in deep discussion at Auschwitz itself:
- Most recently in April, I also took a trip to India for family wedding. In typical India fashion for me, the trip had elements of family, shopping, connecting with my heritage, food, spirituality, tourism, and sightseeing. We spent time in Delhi and Punjab and had the opportunity to go to Amritsar and see the Golden Temple, a gorgeous pilgrimage for people of the Sikh faith:
Good times all around!